Header Ads

Police Officer in hospital after bush knife rage in PNG

 A POLICEMAN is in a critical condition at the Wewak General Hospitalin Papua New Guinea after he was slashed with a bush knife at Yawasoro outside Wewak on Christmas Eve.
The policeman had responded to a distress call from a woman who sought help to stop suspects, believed to be her son and three others, from attacking her with a bush knife after binge drinking.
Wewak police station commander Insp James Baugen said the policeman, from East New Britain, was ambushed by a knife-wielding man when he stepped out of the vehicle to assist the woman at night. 
Baugen said the policeman was doing his job by trying to calm people down when he was seriously injured. 
“The officer received a deep cut to his forehead.
“His injury is serious and we are observing his condition closely at the hospital,” Baugen said. 
“One suspect has been arrested and locked up. The other three are still at large. 
“I am appealing for their immediate surrender because it does not matter how far and wide they go, the law will still catch up on them.” 
More than 10 houses believed to be the homes of the suspects and places where illegal homebrew was sold were torched by police over the weekend. 
Baugen said youths who caused unnecessary problems in town would have their homes burnt and they would be evicted from the settlements. 
“Apart from this isolated incident, there were no major incidents reported to police and I commend everyone for realising the significance of Christmas and celebration in its true spirit.
“I urge everyone to continue in the same spirit during the New Year when we say goodbye to 2014 and look forward to working together in upholding peace at all times,” Baugen said.
Police around the country have stepped up their visibility on the streets during this festive season.
Police operations have targeted foot patrols, roadblocks, awareness on law and order issues and raids on suspects involved in homebrew and drug consumption.
Powered by Blogger.